No-Fault Insurance for Your Personal Injury in Utah

“No-fault” is a type of automobile insurance in which your insurance company pays you certain benefits for your personal injury in Utah up to a certain limit. These benefits are paid regardless of whether you were at fault. Meaning: they’re paid if you were at fault and they are paid if you were not. By “own insurance” I am talking about the insurance of the car you were in at the time of your personal injury in Utah. And that’s because policy provisions and state law say you are an "insured" of that vehicle.

Personal injury protection or PIP is the name Utah has given to its no-fault plan.

In Utah the terms “PIP” “Personal Injury Protection” and “No-Fault” are used interchangeably. Which means they mean the same thing.

Medical Bills from a Personal Injury in Utah

No-fault pays your medical bills reasonably and necessarily incurred because of your personal injury in Utah. It won't cover aromatherapy but it will pay for a chiropractor. The amount of bills your policy will pay is limited by the coverage you purchased. In Utah you must have at least $3000, but it is possible to get $10,000, $25,000 or even $100,000 of this type of coverage.

Lost Wages Due to a Personal Injury in Utah

No-fault pays your lost wages (or lost income if you are self employed) incurred because of a personal injury in Utah. This coverage usually has a rather small cap such as “up to 85% of the income you lost from work, up to a maximum of $250 per week."

Household Services

No-fault covers the cost of paying others to perform household services you can't perform because of your personal injury in Utah. This benefit is usually limited to $20 per day.

Death Benefit from a Personal Injury in Utah

No-fault often includes a death benefit that you as a survivor can apply for if your loved one is killed in a Utah car accident.

Applying For Benefits

To apply for your no-fault benefits you need to contact your agent to report the personal injury in Utah. He will notify your insurance company who will open a file and assign a claims adjuster. Once an adjuster has been assigned contact her and ask for an "Application for Benefits." This is the form most insurance companies use to start the payment process after a personal injury in Utah.

Subro What?

If you were not at-fault, your insurance company may be able to get paid back for the money it spends on your no-fault benefits after a personal injury in Utah. This is commonly known as “subrogation.” To do this it will need to submit a bill to the company of the at-fault driver.

If you have hired an attorney to help you on your personal injury in Utah, your insurance company may ask him to help recover the subrogation money from the other insurance company. Sometimes insurance companies have staff lawyers who handle this and sometimes they hire outside law firms to do it.

Conclusion of Personal Injury in Utah

No-fault or Personal Injury Protection is a system where your insurance company pays you benefits regardless of fault after a personal injury in Utah. These benefits usually include: medical expenses, lost income, household services and a death benefit.

Start the process by reporting the crash to your agent. He will open the claim and an adjuster will be assigned by your insurance company.

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now